A boiler or steam generator is any external combustion equipment, fired with any fuel, used to produce hot water or steam. Process heaters include any unit fired with any fuel which transfers heat from combustion gases to water or process streams, including reformers.
Who Needs A Permit?
- Pursuant to MBARD Rule 201, Section 4.8.1, a permit is required for all boilers, process heaters and steam generators with an aggregated rated heat input capacity of 2 million BTU per hour or greater when fired with natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas or any combination thereof.
- Pursuant to MBARD Rule 201, Section 4.8.2, a permit is required for all boilers, process heaters and steam generators with an aggregated rated heat input capacity of 250,000 BTU per hour or greater when fired on any other fuel than natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas.
Boiler, steam generator, or process heater shall submit a one-time NEW APPLICATION fee for applying Authority to Construct/Permit to Operate (Rule 300 District Fees).
For modifications resulting in any physical change or change in method of operation shall pay the MODIFICATION fee specified in Rule 300.
Permit Application Completeness Determination
An application will not be accepted for processing until it is deemed complete. The following will be required in order for MBARD to make a completeness determination.
- Completed Form 1 ATC-PTO Application with the original signature of the owner/proprietor or responsible officer of the company.
- Submittal of fees outlined in Form 400-General Application Fee Determination Sheet, and in accordance with MBARD Rule 300.
- Submittal of Boiler and Liquid Heater Supplemental Information Form.
AdvisoriesClarification of Permit Requirements of Gaseous Fire Boilers
Permit Application FormsForm 1 ATC-PTO ApplicationForm 400 - General Application Fee Determination SheetBoiler and Liquid Heater Supplemental Information Form
Rule 221 FEDERAL PREVENTION OF SIGNIFICANT DETERIORATION
Rule 222 FEDERAL MINOR SOURCES REVIEW
California Health and Safety Code, Section 42301.6, Public Notice for Possible Source of Air Hazardous Emissions Near School Prior to Approving Permit
New Source Performance Standards (NSPS)
National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP)