*** THE E-BIKE INCENTIVE PROGRAM IS CLOSED *** All funds have been allocated and applications are no longer being accepted.
COMPLETE applications are reviewed and approved in the order they are received; not your purchase, order, or deposit date. Please ensure funds are still available before purchasing or ordering your e-bike. Consider that funds may run out after you purchase your e-bike, but before you're able to apply.
The Monterey Bay Air Resources District is pleased to offer the Monterey Bay e-Bike Incentive Program (e-BIP) to low-income applicants from Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties. As e-bike technology advances and more e-bike models become available, e-bikes can be a useful way to displace vehicle trips for commuting to work or school and for running errands. The Air District encourages the use of pedal and electric power to reduce smog forming and global warming emissions while promoting the health and well being of our community.
E-Bikes must be/have been purchased on or after July 1, 2022.
OK to stack/combine incentives: apply for our incentive AND others (links below).
Simple 3-step Application Process:
- Purchase a Class 1, 2, or 3 electric bicycle at a bicycle shop within Monterey, San Benito or Santa Cruz Counties (purchase must be made on or after July 1, 2022).
- Prepare to upload the following documents in the application:
a. Proof of low income eligibility (if applicable)
b. Applicant ID (e.g., drivers license).
c. Utility or cable bill (within 90 days).
d. Sales receipt (with applicant’s name and bicycle serial number clearly shown).
e. Picture of e-bike serial number.
f. Picture of e-bike with applicant.
- Apply for the incentive on MBARD’s website: www.mbard.org/e-bike-incentive-program.
The full program guidelines and requirements may be reviewed in the application form here.
Low Income Verification
We cannot and will not accept your W-2, Form 1040, pay stubs or other income documents for eligiblity verification. Instead, you must provide proof that you are currently receiving a low-income benefit or assistance through a verifiable program. Some qualifying programs are listed below. This is not a complete list. If you are a participant of a program or benefit not listed here, please check with District staff at (831) 647-9411 before applying.
- US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development website
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) website
- Medi-Cal website
- CalFresh/SNAP (Food Stamps) website
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) website
- CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF website
- Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) website
- Residency in Affordable Housing or Public Housing website
- California Alternate Rates for Energy Program (CARE) website
- Family Electric Rate Assistance Program (FERA) website
- Emergency Rental Assistance Program (Monterey & The United Way) website
- AND OTHERS...
Other E-Bike Incentives and Resources:
- GO Santa Cruz (City of Santa Cruz & Ecology Action) - Website
- Central Coast Community Energy (3CE) - Webpage
- Ecology Action - Website
Electric Bicycle Safety References
San Diego County Bicycle Coalition
- E-Bike Safety in Encinitas YouTube video
sixthreezero Bicycle Company
- Riding an Electric Bike for the First Time | Safety Tips YouTube video
- Other Safety videos and tips YouTube playlist
Questions or Comments? Contact the E-Bike Incentive Program Team: