MBARD is offering $1,000 to low-income applicants in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties as an incentive to purchase a Class 1, 2, or 3 electric bicycle in the price range of $1,000 - $4,000.
Purchase date must be on or after September 28, 2021.
The Monterey Bay Air Resources District is pleased to offer the Monterey Bay e-Bike Incentive Program (e-BIP) to low-income applicants from Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties. As e-bike technology advances and more e-bike models become available, e-bikes can be a useful way to displace vehicle trips for commuting to work or school and for running errands. The Air District encourages the use of pedal and electric power to reduce smog forming and global warming emissions while promoting the health and well being of our community.
Simple 3-step Application Process:
- Be actively enrolled in a low-income or benefits program and prepared to provide proof.
- Purchase a new, qualifying e-bike from a local bike shop; not online. Used bicycles are not eligible.
- Apply for the e-bike incentive here.
You must submit the following documents with your application:
- Valid/Unexpired Photo ID (e.g. drivers license).
- Proof of active enrollment in a low-income program.
- Utility or cable bill (from past 90 days).
- Sales receipt or invoice (must show Applicant's name and e-Bike's serial number).
- Photo of the serial number on the e-bike.
- Photo of the applicant with the e-bike.
The full program guidelines and requirements may be reviewed in the application form here.
Low Income Verification
You must provide proof of active enrollment in a low-income program. Some qualifying programs are listed below. This is not a complete list. If you are a participant of a program or benefit not listed here, please check with District staff at (831) 647-9411 before applying.
- US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development website
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) website
- Medi-Cal website
- CalFresh/SNAP (Food Stamps) website
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) website
- CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF website
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) website
- Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) website
- Residency in Affordable Housing or Public Housing website
- California Alternate Rates for Energy Program (CARE) website
- Family Electric Rate Assistance Program (FERA) website
- Energy Savings Assistance Program (ESA) website
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance website
- Emergency Rental Assistance Program (Monterey & The United Way) website
- Central California Alliance for Health website
- Free or Reduced National School Lunch Program
- AND OTHERS...
Electric Bicycle Safety References
San Diego County Bicycle Coalition
- E-Bike Safety in Encinitas YouTube video
sixthreezero Bicycle Company
- Riding an Electric Bike for the First Time | Safety Tips YouTube video
- Other Safety videos and tips YouTube playlist
This is an incomplete list of local bike shops within the Air District's boundaries who sell e-bikes that may qualify for our E-Bike Incentive Program. This is intended only as a helpful aide. This list is NOT an endorsement of any specific bike shop(s). If you are a local bike shop owner, please let us know if you would like to be added or removed from the list (contact info below).
|Another Bike Shop||2361 Mission St||Santa Cruz||(831) 427-2232|
|Bicycle Trip||3555 Clares St, Suite T||Capitola||(831) 226-5050|
|Bicycle Trip||1001 Soquel Ave||Santa Cruz||(831) 427-2580|
|Bike Church||703 Pacific Ave||Santa Cruz||(831) 425-2453|
|Bobcat Bicycles||141 Monterey St||Salinas||(831) 753-7433|
|Carmel Bicycle||26543 Carmel Rancho Blvd||Carmel||(831) 625-2211|
|Cruiser Dave's Bikes||316 Pacific Avenue||Santa Cruz||(831) 756-4609|
|CSUMB Otter Cycle Center||CSUMB||Marina|
|Current eBikes||585 Pacific Ave||Santa Cruz||(831) 621-2309|
|Cycle Imagery||1025 Water St||Santa Cruz||(831) 477-4458|
|Cycle Works||1420 Mission St||Santa Cruz|
|Doug Chandler Performance||517 Abbott St||Salinas|
|Epicenter Cycling||8035 Soquel Dr||Aptos||(831) 662-8100|
|Epicenter Cycling||230 Lighthouse Ave||Monterey||(831) 920-1804|
|Epicenter Cycling||1730 Mission St||Santa Cruz||(831) 423-9000|
|Mad Dogs & Englishmen||SW Corner of Ocean Ave and Mission St||Carmel||(831) 250-7687|
|Marina Cycle & Skate||214 Reservation Rd||Marina||(831) 384-2453|
|Monterey Peninsula Power Sports||1020 Auto Center Parkway||Seaside||(831) 899-7433|
|Moore and Sons eBikes||2-1431 East Cliff Dr||Santa Cruz||(831) 475-3619|
|Off the Chain Bikes||101 McCray St #101||Hollister||(831) 636-0802|
|Pedego Electric Bicycles||143 Crossroads Blvd||Carmel||(831) 293-7063|
|Peninsula Bike Works||1271 10th St. Suite C||Monterey||(831) 643-2453|
|Rooster Wheels & Coffee||3056 Del Monte Blvd||Marina||(831) 582-2453|
|Santa Cruz Bike Repair||318 Pacific Ave||Santa Cruz||(831) 471-2453|
|Santa Cruz Cycle Sport||914 41st Ave||Santa Cruz||(831) 475-3883|
|Scotts Valley Cycle Sport||203 Mt. Hermon Rd||Scotts Valley||(831) 440-9070|
|Spokesman Bicycles||231 Cathcart St.||Santa Cruz||(831) 429-6062|
|Spokesman Outpost||402 Ingalls St #7||Santa Cruz||(831) 291-7603|
|Toro Grind||22750 Portola Dr||Salinas||(831) 484-9747|
|Valley Bikes||64 W Alisal St||Salinas||(831) 422-3453|
|Watsonville Cyclery||25 E. 5th St||Watsonville||(831) 724-1646|
|Winning Wheels||318 Grand Ave||Pacific Grove||(831) 375-4322|
|Work Horse Bicycles||486 Washington St||Monterey||(831) 375-2144|
Other E-Bike Incentives and Resources:
- GO Santa Cruz (City of Santa Cruz & Ecology Action) - Website
- Central Coast Community Energy (3CE) - Webpage
- Ecology Action - Website
Questions or Comments? Contact the E-Bike Incentive Program Team:
- Ty Bell - email@example.com or (831) 718-8023