Skip to main content

Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP)

The Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP) is a statewide program created by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to register portable equipment as an alternative to securing a permit from one of the 35 local air quality control or management districts. CARB administers the PERP program and the Monterey Bay Air Resources District enforces the requirements of the program.  Go to CARB's PERP website or see links below for complete program information including applications, fees and other requirements.


Portable Emergency Generator Use During Public Safety Power Shutoff 


PERP registered equipment may operate under specific conditions throughout the state without obtaining a stationary source permit to operate, as long as they are not considered to be part of a stationary source.  For more information about what is considered a stationary source please reference this document Explanation & Examples of Uses of PERP or contact MBARD.

Generally, portable engines over 50 hp and portable equipment units that emit particulate matter greater than 2.0 pounds per day cannot be operated within the jurisdiction of MBARD without either a permit to operate or PERP registration. In some cases, portable equipment may be ineligible for PERP registration and a permit to operate is the only option for the legal use of the equipment within in the Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito counties.

PERP Inspections and Notifications


If your equipment is home-districted in either Monterey, Santa Cruz, or San Benito county you are required to contact MBARD to arrange for an inspection within 45 days after the date of the initial issuance or renewal of PERP registration


If a registered equipment unit will be at location within Monterey, Santa Cruz, or San Benito counties for more than 5 days, notification to MBARD is required within 2 days of commencing operations.

Inspection requests and notifications can be made in the following way:

  1. Call (831) 718-8025
  2. Request an inspection using CARB's online notification site