Attention!!! Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2018-19 Wood Stove Change-out Program as program funds are exhausted!
Please check back later this year for information about the opening of new woodsmoke reduction programs.
See below for information about the 2018-2019 program:
Residents in Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties can save money while improving the air quality in their homes and neighborhoods by changing out old wood burning devices with cleaner alternatives. The Monterey Bay Air Resources District through California Climate Investments is offering incentives between $1,000 to $3,500 to replace an old wood stove or fireplace insert with a cleaner burning device. The non-EPA certified wood stove or wood insert must be replaced with a low emissions EPA certified wood, natural gas, propane, or electric stove or fireplace insert. Open hearth fireplaces also qualify for the program. The incentive amount will depend on what type of replacement stove is selected and the applicant’s household income. To be eligible for the program, a homeowner or renter must use an uncertified wood stove or wood insert as a primary source of heat.
Applicants must receive program authorization prior to purchasing a device.
Old wood stoves must not be removed by applicant!
Discounts are available through participating local dealers. The incentives will be distributed to qualifying applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the funds are depleted. Applicants who have been income qualified by Central Coast Energy Services under the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program will be eligible for the highest incentive amounts.
The Wood Stove Change-Out program is part of a California Climate Investments’ statewide Woodsmoke Reduction Program which puts Cap-and-Trade dollars to work reducing greenhouse gas emissions, strengthening the economy, and improving public health and the environment—particularly in disadvantaged communities. A total of $250,000 has been set aside for the program.
- Available to residents in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties. Renters or property managers should coordinate change-outs with the property owner.
- An incentive of $1,000 to replace an operational, uncertified wood stove, fireplace insert, or open fireplace with an eligible wood burning device
- An incentive of $1,500 to replace an operational, uncertified wood stove, fireplace insert, or open fireplace with a cleaner burning natural gas, propane, or electric device
- Income qualified applicants can receive an additional discount of $2,000.
- The discounts are available through these participating hearth products dealers.
- Vouchers for the discounts will be processed on a first come, first served basis until all funds are depleted.
Applications will be accepted by mail at 24580 Silver Cloud Ct., Monterey, CA 93940, by fax at (831) 647-8501, or by email at (redacted). Email is the preferred method of submitting the application.
If you have questions about the program or to verify eligibility, call (831) 647-9411 or email: (redacted).