All grant funds are now reserved. Remaining and new applications will be placed on the wait list.
See Link to Application in Side Box=====>
MBARD is excited to offer the residents of Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties an opportunity to participate in the 2021-2022 Wood Stove Change Out Program (WSCOP).
Wood smoke contains many different harmful air pollutants, including particulate matter, carbon monoxide, and volatile organic compounds. These pollutants can cause respiratory problems, cardiovascular disease, cancer and are the leading environmental cause of premature death.
Using wood burning heating devices (fireplaces, fireplace inserts or woodstoves) also affects local and regional air quality and contributes to global warming.
In an effort to reduce these pollutants from wood burning smoke, the Monterey Bay Air Resources District (MBARD) is providing rebates for homeowners who replace their wood burning heating devices with a cleaner home heating device option.
Any replacement Wood Burning Device MUST be 2020 EPA Complaint:
PM2.5 emission ratings not to exceed 2.0 g/hr
The Wood Stove Change Out Program offers the following rebate incentives towards the replacement of functioning open hearth fireplaces, woodstoves and wood burning inserts (manufactured prior to July 1988 and used as a primary heat source) with one of the following heating devices:
|Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump||$1,500|
|*Pellet Stove / Insert||$1,000|
|*Qualified Wood Burning Stove or Fireplace Insert||$1,000|
|Additional Incentive for Low Income Qualified:||$2,000|
STEPS MUST BE FOLLOWED IN ORDER. If a device is purchased and/or installed prior to receiving an APPROVAL EMAIL, your incentive will be forfeited.
- Review the program information on the webpage then click the ONLINE APPLICATION for specific instructions to apply..
- Shop - Do Not Buy Yet - shop around and select your replace device. Make sure you know the make, model, efficiency, PM2.5 emissions (for wood burning devices) and cost. Only refundable deposits up to 50% of the purchase price are allowed.
- Installer Estimate - Now that you know what device you want to purchase, schedule a visit with an approved Installer to verify your current device qualifies and receive an installation estimate (needed for the application).
- Apply - Go on to our website and submit your application
- Receive Approval Email - Once your application is approved you will receive an approval email. SAVE THIS EMAIL. It includes a link you will need it for Step 7.
- Buy - Once you will receive an Approval email, purchase your device and schedule the installation of your new device..
- Upload - Find your APPROVAL EMAIL and use the link at the bottom of the email to upload all required documents and photographs.
**ALL projects participating in this program are REQUIRED to get a permit by their local jurisdiction. The replacement device must be permanently installed by a professional, appropriately licensed dealer approved by the APCD for this program. Self-installation of heating devices is not allowed.**
$2,000 Low Income Eligible Incentive
This is a separate application process in addition to the WSCOP application.
You must apply with Central Coast Energy Services. We unfortunately cannot assist you with this part of the application process. We only verify your eligibility status after CCES reviews your application for assistance. Your standard WSCOP application and incentive will be held until CCES makes their determination.
Please contact CCES and submit a HEAP application.
- Website: https://www.energyservices.org/
- Phone Number: 1-888-728-3637
- Download Applications: https://www.energyservices.org/index-afh.html
The 1-888-728-3637 line works 24 hours a day and customers need only leave their name, address, and phone number to receive an application and instructions by mail within two to four working days.
CCES has the following income guidelines on their website www.energyservices.org, and you may also complete an online application there.
|HEAP Eligibility Guidelines* (eligibility in HEAP is determined by the last 30 days of income) Monthly income cannot exceed:|
|1 person - $2,431|
|2 person - $3,179|
|3 person - $3,927|
|4 person - $4,675|
|5 person - $5,423|
|6 person - $6,171|
|7 person - $6,311|
|8 person - $6,451|
|*HEAP eligibility guidelines may change depending on funding.|
Federal Tax Credit:
Check if your wood burning stove or insert is already EPA certified:
Tips on how to burn cleaner (YouTube videos):
- Five Rules to Follow for an Efficient Fire
- Wet Wood is a Waste: How to Test Your Firewood with a Moisture Meter
For more information, visit the wood stove pages on the EPA and CARB webpages and checkout the California Air Resources Board Handbook.