Skip to main content

Permit Guidance

The District’s Engineering Division issues and annually renews air quality permits for equipment that emits air pollutants located in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz counties. The District’s permitting program has been established to implement the requirements of the Federal and state Clean Air Act, the District’s Air Quality Management Plan (AQMP) and air quality rules and regulations.

The District’s permit system is the primary tool used to ensure businesses comply with the air quality control requirements. The two types of permits issued are Authorities to Construct and Permits to Operate.

Prior to installation of new or relocated equipment, or prior to modification of existing equipment, the operator of the equipment is required to apply for an Authority to Construct (ATC) from the District. An ATC is issued after the project emissions and necessary control technology have been evaluated, and criteria and toxic pollutant regulatory compliance has been determined.

Permits to Operate (PTO) are issued after the construction is completed and the equipment is found to be operating in compliance with all applicable federal, State and local rules and regulations, and the terms and conditions of the Authority to Construct.

In addition, all applications are subject to Public Notice requirements, if applicable. Public notices are required for facilities that have risks or emissions that exceed the specific thresholds for equipment located within 1,000 feet of a school. All such public notices are distributed to the communities near the project and parents of children attending the nearby school and are subject to a 30-day public comment period.

To determine if your equipment needs a permit, first check MBARD Rule 201, Sources Not Requiring Permits to determine if the equipment is exempt from requiring a permit.

When do I need to check with the Air District also provides a general list to help you determine whether your project requires a District permit.

When do I need to check with the Air District

Permit Guidance Documents

GP4-Geneeral Permit Requirements.docCannabis AdvisoryInternal Combustion Engines – Natural Gas/LPGDistrict Policy on PERP Eligibility at Stationary SourcesNatural Gas/LPG BoilersSoil Aeration PolicyExample Allowable Soil AerationWastewater Treatment PlantsGuidance for Wineries

Please contact the District at (831) 647-9411 if you have questions regarding whether a permit is required.